New York City is a wonderful place to visit, for tourists from Europe, Central and South America, India, and from other parts of the United States. While it is important to get the most enjoyment out of the trip that one can, it is also crucial to know what to do after an auto accident or other mishap that may occur while one is on holiday in Manhattan.

Things to Do in New York City

In 2009, 8.6 million international tourists visited New York - and most of these tourists came from the United Kingdom, Canada, Germany, France and Italy.

Tourists can find almost anything to suit their interests while in Manhattan. Central Park offers a variety of outdoor activities. Museums offer world-class cultural and historical exhibits. Five-star restaurants provide excellent cuisine. High-end shops sell the latest fashions. And the best hotels pamper their guests in style.

But New York City isn't the easiest place to navigate. Manhattan taxis, while often readily accessible, take serious risks on the road. New York's subways are easy to use as well, but they are not always safe. And the constant throng of people on the streets can make it difficult for the city to keep up with the maintenance of sidewalks and crosswalks - ice and snow on sidewalks, for example, can lead to serious slip and fall injuries.

Accidents While on Holiday in New York

With the variety of activities both international and domestic tourists enjoy in New York City - including foot, bus, car and helicopter tours - accidents do happen. The tragic 2009 crash of a helicopter carrying five Italian tourists highlights the dangers. In fact, most low-altitude flights over New York's Hudson River are unregulated, and the city's mayor said they should stay that way in the interest of tourism.

If you or a loved one is in a New York City accident, no matter how it occurs, you should take steps to protect yourself. Do the following:

  • Dial 911 on the telephone
  • If anyone is hurt, tell the 911 operator you need an ambulance
  • Wait for the police
  • Make a report to the police
  • Find out how to get a copy of the police report

The more information and documentation you can gather, the better prepared you will be if you need to seek financial compensation for injuries.

Contact the New York Attorneys of Smiley & Smiley, LLP

If you or a loved one has been hurt in an accident in New York City, you do not have to be an American citizen - or even a documented alien - to seek compensation. Contact the Manhattan personal injury attorneys of Smiley & Smiley, LLP for an evaluation of your case.