New York City Bus Accident Attorneys
Bus accident legal claims bring all of the legal challenges of car and accident claims along with numerous additional challenges. For example:
- In cases against buses operated by the New York City Transit Authority (NYCTA) the NYCTA must be notified of the claim within 90 days of the accident. Also, the NYCTA vigorously investigates and defends against claims and is often reluctant to settle claims out of court.
- In claims against private coach buses, commuter buses and tour buses plaintiffs must ascertain the bus's real owner; this can be difficult because buses are often owned by national and even international corporations with complex ownership structures.
At Smiley & Smiley, LLP, our New York City bus accident attorneys have handled hundreds of subway and bus accidents, including accidents involving publicly and privately owned buses.
Case Results Regarding Bus Accident Victim Compensation
- Our client was run over by a bus in a crosswalk and lost much of the use of one of her legs even after undergoing 10 surgeries. Her leg was also badly scarred. We were able to settle the case for $5 million.
- We obtained a $4 million recovery for a 33-year-old physician who suffered multiple serious injuries when struck by a turning bus while bicycling to work in Midtown Manhattan. Smiley & Smiley, LLP, attorneys were able to identify the bus owners and hold them accountable for this hit-and-run accident.
- We represented the family of a woman who was run over and killed by a NYCTA bus in a crosswalk. Smiley & Smiley, LLP, took immediate action and placed the case on the fast track. In just nine months, we secured a settlement of $1.3 million.
- $1.3 million for a woman who was struck by an MTA Bus in Queens while she was a passenger in an SUV. Our client suffered serious shoulder and back injuries and required fusion of her spine as a result of the accident.
- A bank officer was killed by a NYCTA bus, and was survived by his wife and two children. We negotiated a settlement of $1.3 million.
The attorneys of Smiley & Smiley, LLP, provide free initial consultations. We are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Our office is conveniently located in Midtown Manhattan across from Grand Central Station at 122 East 42nd Street, 39th Floor. Our staff includes speakers of Spanish and Haitian Creole. To contact a New York City bus accident lawyer, call 212-986-2022 or toll free 866-SMILEYLAW.