On behalf of Smiley & Smiley, LLP posted in Defective Products on Sunday, March 12, 2017.
For numerous New Yorkers, concerns about residential lead exposure are rare or nonexistent. This may be because people believe that lead poisoning is an old problem that was rectified some time ago. However, the issue is still very real, and there are situations in which lead exists or is introduced into the home.
Undoubtedly, many homeowners and renters have heard about the hazards caused by old houses with lead-based paint. But, this is not the only way lead can make its way into a home. WNBC explains a situation in which the toxic metal may have unexpectedly put consumers’ health at risk. Home furnishing retailer Restoration Hardware recently initiated a safety recall when it was discovered that certain models of its dining tables might raise the lead levels in children's blood. The company dutifully stopped selling the products, but it was not before four children were reportedly affected by elevated amounts of lead in their systems.
The Mayo Clinic explains that children are particularly vulnerable to lead poisoning. High blood lead levels may cause nervous system disorders, and problems with seizures and kidney damage. In a very severe situation, death or coma can occur. Gradual contamination due to low blood lead levels does not always manifest into obvious symptoms; however, it still may result in neurodevelopmental disorders. Given this, it is important to recognize signs that lead exposure may be affecting a child. Evidence of poisoning may include the following:
- Constipation, vomiting or pain in the abdomen
- Problems with hearing
- Low energy
- Changes in mood
- Decrease in appetite or weight
- Issues with learning or development
Related Posts: The reasons parents need to keep informed about car seats, Tackling defenses to defective product claims, Defective product or false advertising?, Defective kids' products put New York families at risk