Smiley & Smiley, LLP

What do I do if I discover that a product I own is defective?

If you have discovered that a product you own is defective, you can take one or more actions that may help to ensure that no other consumers risk harm by using similar products. In addition, the actions you take may help you to obtain monetary damages if the defective product you own has harmed you or a loved one.

First, please consider reporting the nature of the defect to the government. The Consumer Product Safety Commission hosts a website designed to empower consumers who find themselves in situations like yours. On this website, you can report details about the defective product and any harm it has caused. Taking this step is critical, as the government can only investigate defective consumer products, educate the public about their risks and ultimately insist upon recalls of those products if the government is aware that the defects exist in the first place.

Second, if you or a loved one has been harmed by a defective product, please consider speaking with a personal injury attorney experienced in products liability cases. An attorney can help you determine whether or not it makes sense for you to file a lawsuit against the manufacturer of the defective product. Not only can a lawsuit potentially aid you in obtaining monetary compensation for the harm that a manufacturer has caused you, it can also help to speed the process of investigating the product and ultimately recalling it if it poses a significant risk of harm to other consumers who may come into contact with it. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Smiley & Smiley, LLP
122 East 42nd Street, 39th Floor
New York, NY 10168

Toll Free: 866-764-5395
Phone: 212-986-2022
Fax: 212-697-4689
New York Law Office Map